Saturday 8 March 2014

First Edits Complete.....

I can't figure out if I'm an editor's worst nightmare or a teacher's pet?

Sorry been MIA - we moved from the house to the flat and it was pretty nightmarish. Squeezing a four bedroom house's contents to fit into a small three bedroom flat has not been fun and the car still has boxes shoved in it whilst my bedroom is a bit of an obstacle course of suitcases and boxes.

Last weekend we celebrated my Dad's birthday which was really cool - sat around and ate and talked for hours - but of course it meant we didn't spend enough time unpacking/cleaning that we should have, and everyone has been back to school this week so, yeah, it's all a bit of a mess.

My back is playing up, as are my hips and knees - all that time on my hands and knees scrubbing carpets at the old house - but all worth it as we are getting our full deposit back. (Round of applause and sigh of relief as it means I can repay some of the money we used to move). All of this means I'm not sleeping very well - 6.42 a.m and I haven't been to bed yet!

LM is being - well, difficult is probably the best word. She's just being really defiant and rude about everything, doing silly things that she knows will get her in trouble, that sort of thing. It's difficult as MD is as tired as I am and trying not to react but it's hard.

However, we finally managed to book MD in for her last Christmas present - a makeover, pamper and photography session. Four hours of being pampered and treated, followed by playing dress up and having photos taken - hopefully it will make her feel good, and of course it never hurts to have yet more pictures of my babies to put up on the wall.

And onward to editing news. Received my first set of edits for '2 weeks 6 days 2 long' today and sort of girded myself to want to cry, etc. I was offered some how-to sheets to make sure I knew what not to do with track changes, etc on Word which was really nice as it's all been self-taught up until now. Of course, me being me and pretty much awake, I decided to see what edits there were to do. It was actually quite painless - some were my use of formatting, some were Britishisms I use; some were me running sentences on. So I finished them and sent them back. Hence the starter question: teacher's pet or worst nightmare?

Because now I'm worried I did them too quickly and should have thought about them longer? And should I have made more comments about why I agreed/disagreed? Gah, sometimes being in a different time-zone is a real pain in the butt!  Of course, I can't take credit for how well edited the story was - that was all Silk-Labyrinth who went through it with her fine-tooth comb before I even submitted it last year. So I shall ensure I send my thanks her way instead of just preening and pretending I somehow managed to achieve that myself!!

So yeah, first edits complete and I agreed the blurb. As soon as I'm allowed, I'll put the proper blurb and picture up but you guys already know it cos I did the mini banner of the two guys on the poppies way back to last year.

And now that the first edits are over, maybe I should stop writing that Teen Wolf/BtVS crossover and try to write something original?! Ooh look, 6.50 a.m., time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment